Motorcycle accidents are unfortunate events on our roads, and they can be cured with our alertness and safety. The number of cases is increasing as the causes, consequences, and circumstances of these accidents vary. It is seen that riders face various challenges and risks while sharing a road with other large vehicles.
In this article, we will learn what are the five major types of motorcycle accidents and also shed some light on their impact on the drivers and victims. So, let’s begin our discussion about the top 5 common motorcycle accidents.
What are the Top 5 Common Motorcycle Accidents?
- Blind Spot Accidents: This type of accident occurs when the vehicle on the highway changes lanes and crashes with the motorcycle as motorcycles are in the blind spots. Blind spots are available in all vehicles; the difference is there are some large spots and some small ones. In tractors, there are blind spots on all four sides. Motorcyclists should be cautious about passing through the freeway, especially with large vehicles.
- Rear-End Collision at Intersections: It is risky for motorcyclists to stop at intersection points as they are exposed to other large vehicles. It can cause horrifying injuries if you fail to brake on time.
- Left-Hand Turn Collisions: Left-turn collision happens when a vehicle is making a left turn in an intersection when it collides with another vehicle making a left turn. When you are taking your bike at the left-turn intersection, another vehicle makes a left turn too soon and smashes your bike. There is nothing much you can do in this case to reduce motorcycle accidents, but one thing you can do is to slow down while turning at the intersection point.
- Open Door Accidents: It is easy to decipher by the name itself that this accident occurs when a car is parked at one point, and when someone suddenly opens the door, and a motorcyclist smashes the door, it leads to open door accidents. In this case, there can be serious injuries, like a motorcyclist can get tossed from the bike.
- Pothole Accident: Potholes can create problems for any vehicle, be it a car or motorcycle. It poses real hazards to vehicles. If you are moving at speed, the motorcyclist can flip and suffer serious injuries like neck injuries and road rash. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to see the potholes from a distance, but you can be slow to avoid any such accident.